What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing additional funding of £150 million a year to improve the provision of physical education and sport in primary schools over the next two years. This funding is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport.
The funding given to schools is ring fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of sport and PE in schools.
How much do we receive?
This academic year, Woodlands Park will receive £18,610 in additional Sports Premium Funding.
How are we spending the funding?
We have used the additional funding to:
- Employ an experienced PE specialist to lead PE across the school. Mrs Debbie Flory started working at the school in April 2018. In addition to teaching the PE curriculum, Mrs Flory works with class teachers to further develop their skills in delivering the PE curriculum.
- Have a PE leader who coordinates and attends PE events and liaises effectively with the Ivybridge Learning Community.
- Have a PE leader who works alongside school leaders, including governors, to ensure that the Sport Premium has the greatest impact across the school.
- Develop extra-curricular opportunities for all year groups
- Further develop the PE resources in the school both in terms of PE teaching and play equipment.
- Have a PE leader who coordinates, with the support of school leaders, the Continued Professional Development of all staff
How are the children benefiting from this provision?
1. Have a greater opportunity to participate in sporting events such as matches, tournaments and festivals in the local area.
2. Participate in inter school competitions.
3. Have access to improved equipment.
4. Have the opportunity within the curriculum to further develop their understanding of healthy eating.
Mr Matt Hoey is the designated governor who has responsibility for monitoring the provision of PE/Sport. This will be achieved through regular communication with Mrs Debbie Flory and school leaders, including governing visits.
An action plan for PE/Sport has been written to ensure that our improvements in the provision of PE/Sport are clearly planned, monitoring and evaluated every year by key staff and governors.