Safeguarding & Child Protection
We take this seriously whilst retaining a balanced and human approach. We have excellent recruitment procedures; every member of staff has full checks and up to date references, as do visitors, regular volunteers, supply teachers and governors. All staff receive appropriate training at regular intervals. We have policies and practices that focus on ensuring the health and well-being of the children, for example: risk assessments before every class trip, an annual safety check of our playground, a medicines in school policy and staff presence at the school entrance at the start and end of every day. We have well-established ways of monitoring and responding to incidents of concern, for example: unexplained absences, difficult behaviour and significant changes in physical or emotional appearance. The ethos of the school is open so that staff, parents and children feel able to share concerns. Parents who volunteer on a regular basis (at least once a week) or are unsupervised helpers, will be asked to undertake full DBS checks.
How can parents help with keeping children safe?
- Make sure all addresses and contact numbers are up to date;
- If someone different is picking your child up, please let us know;
- Be at school on time every day at 8.50 am and 3.15/20 pm;
- Notify the school about your child’s absence – unexplained absences are a key trigger for concern;
- Take full note of the advice to parents if you are accompanying a class trip and ensure that you attend the briefing meeting;
- Share any concerns you may have about another child with The Headteacher or Mrs Pipe who are the school’s Safeguarding Officer and Deputy.
If you would like to see a full copy of our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy you can download it below or ask for a copy in the school office. We are happy to talk further with parents.
Devon Safeguarding Children Board (DSCB) Website: http://www.devonsafeguardingchildren.org
Acting Headteacher & Safeguarding Officer, Mrs Emma Pipe Tel: 01752 690046
Deputy Safeguarding Officer, Miss Lindsay Walker Tel: 01752 690046
SENCO, Mrs Debbie Pickering Tel: 01752 690046
Chair of Governors, Sean Bruce Tel: 01752 690046
Governor Responsible for Safeguarding, Jennie Rickard Tel: 01752 690046
Educational Welfare Officer, Ray Oatham (Attendance) Tel: 01803 861082
School Nurse, Catherine Morris Tel: 01752 898280
MASH (Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub) Tel: 0345 155 1071
Local Education Authority, Devon County Council (Free School Meals, Admissions, Transport, Traveller Education) Tel: 0345 155 1019
Police Non Emergency: 101
Police Emergency: 999